Today is Christmas Eve, and Cody and I were able to go on a run outside this morning! That is how nice the weather has been to us. No snow yet. The weather forecast for next week is in the 40's and sunny... I hope it keeps it up as long as it can! We have to walk a lot and wait outside a lot so the nice weather is much appreciated.
Cody and I are still on our Asian food kick. I don't think it will ever go away. We attended an event at Cody's work called the "Bibimbap Backpackers." It's this group of young adults from South Korea that call themselves "The Plus Miners"- meaning they "mine"/search for the positive ("plus") things in life. On their recent project, in an effort to spread Korean culture through the world, they went on a trip all around the world serving and educating about bibimbap, a popular Korean dish. Their goal was to serve 100 tables throughout the year, and New York City was their 96th table. They have been to all sorts of major cities spread over 4 major continents. It has actually been a challenge for them because they have had to pay for most of the trip, from their lack of sponsors. They have been staying in hostiles and have had all sorts of crazy adventures. It was really fun to hear from them. You can tell they have learned a lot, but were ready to return home!
Anyway, that kicked off a bibimbap kick for us and we have had it a few times since then. I love it because it is nutritionally balanced, and has just the right amount of spice, and is pretty easy. Here is a yummy picture:
We also have explored different Asian markets to get resources to make all of our Asian dishes. It is SO crazy to go into a chinese market. In there I saw everything from live frogs, to quail eggs in a carton, to disgusting looking canned "stuff."
Also, in the Chinese neighborhood where the market was, it was fun to see the residents surrounding the area. On someone's porch they were drying fish and eel by hanging them on a rack outside. No big deal...
Well it is Christmas time in NYC. It's fun to see the store windows, lights and such. Cody and I really haven't had time to see all there is to see though. During my hour break last week we hustled down to Rockefeller Center to see the tree.. that was kind of a mistake.
The whole time we were rushing because it is a good walk from where I work, and there were TOO many people. Just TOO many people!!!! And once we finally made it to the tree, I was not really impressed honestly and just had to rush back, and was late back to my shift. Oh well. We finally saw THE tree.
Speaking of trees, we got our own little Christmas (fake) tree. It's a 4 footer. Our Christmas decorations are very meager, but it makes it all the more special I have learned.
We are so grateful for all the packages/gifts we have received. It felt like Santa has stopped by our home. We feel so blessed with such an abundance of generous gifts from our loved ones. Thank you!!!!
Merry Christmas!!!!! I can't wait, and also can't wait for the new year, 2012!!!!


No comments:
Post a Comment