This past week we have experienced the highest temperature/humidity rates thus far. Let me tell you: it is brutal. It has been so hot it is dangerous. I hate not wanting to go outside; or not being able to run at 8am because it is hazardously too hot.
I have found out that New York City is the city of temperature extremes. A customer I was working with at Potterybarn was visiting from Istanbul, Turkey. He told me he came to visit NY earlier this year in January, and the temperature was a -10 degrees. And now, he is back in July and the temperatures have been over 100 degrees. I am enduring summer, and not looking forward to what winter lies ahead.
(I am not used to freezing Idaho temperatures okay!)
Well, this week has been eventful though. I will start with the biggest event:
THE WALDORF=ASTORIA
This last Tuesday was the Korea Society's annual dinner. It was in the grand ballroom of the Waldorf=Astoria hotel (which is a big deal here in NYC). Basically it is to raise money, as Cody says. The guests had several options on the price of their ticket, based on sponsor perks, table preference, etc... So basically you could pay anywhere from $500-$50,000 per ticket.
I was fortunate enough to attend this event. I got a classy formal dress and Cody looked sharp in his tux.
The dinner was definitely gourmet. Here's the menu:
Appetizer: Sugarcane Skewered Prawns; Crab and Avocado Tian;
Yellow Tomato Gazpacho
Entree: Tournedo of Beef w/ Roasted Garlic Confit; Corn & Chanterelle
Risotto; Red Swiss Chard; Cabernet Natural
Dessert: Baked Alaska (Individual domes of vanilla and chocolate ice
cream, with a sour cherry gelee center, toasted meringue
& chocolate wafer crunches with sour cherry sauce)
Yep, I didn't understand what I was eating. It was pretty good though. Cody said that was the BEST steak he has ever had. He said "it melted in his mouth."
Well the program's keynote speaker was Kathleen Stephens, the ambassador to Korea. There were also 5 other former ambassadors to Korea as well. There were lots of dignitaries there. There was also a last minute special visit by
Ban Gi-Moon, the U.N. General Secretary (a.k.a. president of the U.N.) Once in a lifetime experience...
Since it was a Korea Society event, Cody had to help work it so I didn't get to be with him the whole time. The only time I got to be with him was when we ate. So I made some friends with other guests in the meantime.
During the program he was the "stage manager." He was basically security while the speakers came on and off the stage. He felt pretty cool being so close to these special people, but wait! it gets better... During Ban Gi-Moon's speech, he was coughing alot and in terrible need of a glass of water. So Cody mustered up his courage, praying not to trip or make a distraction, as he walked up the stage to the podium to hand him a glass of water. It was so cute! Put yourself in my shoes: I am just sitting enjoying the program, when I see my cute husband (in his tux) humbly take the stage and drop the water off at the podium. That was the highlight of my night. He did it for Ambassador Stephens as well.
There is so much to write about, but I will end with one more thing. At the end of the night, all the guests were provided gift bags with basically expensive skin care from a Korea company donation. Cody and I went out a different exit to go to the bathroom, where we ran into Ambassador Stephens and her party. We greeted her, and the first thing Cody was worried about was if she got her "goodie" bag. He volunteered to go grab 3 of them (one for her and other for her party) and he went and grabbed them. She smiled and waited, as Cody left me alone with her. I just smiled, I think. I didn't know what to do. He brought the gifts to them and they were on their way. . .. It was a lil' brush of fame if you will.
Oh- and photography wasn't allowed, but we were able to snapshot a picture of the ceiling with Cody's phone. Here ya go:
THREAD
So Cody really wanted me to blog about this: I have a terribly hard time getting any hair on my face waxed because my asian skin is so sensitive that it often times rips off layers and does more damage than good. Well, there is this technique called "threading." It is an ancient technique that is practiced in many Middle Eastern and Indian cultures. You probably haven't heard it because it is not available out West, but here in NYC there are plenty of people who come from such a background that can do it.
It is done by using two cotton threads, and they essentially tie little knots that grab the hair, it is like tweezing but super efficient. It is really hard to describe. But I was able to get my eyebrows done. And it was so great because there was no harm, unlike waxing; and it was even cheaper than waxing. It is pretty cool!
(That's probably more info. that you want to know!)
KOREA KIDS
At the Korea Society, they had an event last Friday for children. They read stories, made asian fans, puppets, etc... I don't really know, I wasn't there. But I know Cody helped with it. He sent me these pictures from it.
These are the children, presenting the lil' masks they made:
And here's my Cody: not missing out on any of the fun!
NURSERY TIME
Today (Sunday) they needed help in the nursery so Cody and I were fortunate enough to help out. Cody only stayed the first hour, but I got to stay the whole time. It was really fun :) Cody of course took a picture, that I had to share:
Well that is all for now. This week ahead I will be off to girls camp, while Cody is home alone. It may be good to give him extra attention and love while I am off in the wilderness.



No comments:
Post a Comment