Tuesday, May 31, 2011

A Beach of Bliss

"Cody...  I have a feeling we aren't in New York anymore!"  That is how I felt today.  When I found out I was moving to New York City, I did not think I would be spending my leisure days in the hot sun at a sandy beach!  


Today, this Memorial Day holiday, we went to a popular beach on Staten Island.  And oh man, it was a trip to get there!  Here are the steps we took to get there:
                  1- Walk approximately 10 blocks to the subway station
                  2- Take the "N" train to Lexington Avenue (about 20 minutes)
                  3- Transfer to train "6" and ride to Bowling Green stop (25 minutes)
                  4- Walk a little way and board the "Staten Island Ferry" (30 minute ride- best part of the trip!)
                  5- Get off ferry, and walk to nearest bus station
                  6- Take the "51" Bus to "South Beach" (25-30 minutes)
                  7- Unload from the bus, and walk to the beach!


As you can see, it was quite a trip to get there- but it was so worth it!  We spent a few hours eating lunch, sun bathing, sleeping, and just enjoying the beauty of the Atlantic Ocean.  It was so fun!


We get more excited each day about where we will be living.  One of those reasons is that South Beach is so close.  All we do is get on a bus- (we live right by the Verrazzano Bridge that connects Brooklyn to Staten Island)- and drive to the other side and the beach is right there!  ...There is hope to being super tan this summer after all! Yay!!!


Okay- here is the best part of my blog: the pictures.


*The ferry ride was one of my favorite parts of today!  First of all, it is FREE, and it has spectacular views of the city, Statue of Liberty and more!
 *Another view:

*This is Cody after he spilled cocoa butter all over himself.  (Just kidding, it is sand!)

*This little girl is warning Cody not to swim too deep if he goes in the water :)

*Cody wading in the Atlantic Ocean

*The cutest couple at the beach (We are really good at self timer)
 :)


*That's always the funnest part of going to the beach- putting your clothes back on.  Yuck :/

*Ferry Ride Home

*The Freedom Tower (old World Trade Center) in the process of being rebuilt.
 *Cutie Cody


*I hope everyone had a great holiday weekend, we sure did!  Happy sails!

No comments:

Post a Comment